14 Tips to make your life easy while in the CELTA program:
- Carefully follow the instructions that your instructor gives you. They are very important!
- Pay attention to your instructor’s feedback. Constructive feedback always provides great opportunities to improve!
- Make sure to plan ahead. Being organized will help you accomplish more.
- Take notes on everything in class, so you know which classroom strategies work and which don’t. Every moment of the course is a chance to learn.
- While you’ll learn lots of information in class about how to teach, read more ESL materials outside of class like about how to manage your classroom, correct students, and deal with parts of speech.
- Don’t worry about being judged. Focus on giving your future students the best learning experience possible.
- Ask more questions. By asking questions you’ll find out a lot of useful information.
- Keep it simple and don’t get overwhelmed. When you feel lost, find the easiest, smallest step and do it first.
- Know your limitations and prepare yourself accordingly. If you’re weak in grammar and want to focus more on it, study before the session.
- Know the structure of the curriculum and how it’s designed and for whom.
- Cooperate with your fellow trainees. Doing this will help you get more out of your CELTA course.
- Make sure you’re tech-savvy or at least be open to becoming computer savvy. While you’ll handwrite lesson plans and other materials, writing everything simply eats up an excessive amount of time, and time management will be a key component of the class.
- Don’t worry about every single part of the curriculum. Focus on what’s happening right now in the moment.
- Figure out how to organize all the handouts and worksheets given to you during the lectures that are to be used for lesson planning. Your trainers will reference these materials and ask you to review them. You may even have to pull them out at a moment’s notice.
The undeniable truth is that if you’re accepted into the program and complete it successfully, in four short weeks you’ll earn one of the highest qualifications for teaching English that will give you so many opportunities to teach all over the world. Yes, it’ll be challenging, but if you’re physically, emotionally and intellectually ready for the challenge, you’ll undoubtedly achieve success in your CELTA course.